Verve Coffee Roasters
816 41st Avenue
Santa Cruz, CA 95062
Phone: (831) 475-7776
Awesome service, attention to coffee, and people.
Kris checked this place out when stopping through Santa Cruz while galavanting through California per usual. The life of a professor… The atmosphere at Verve is relaxing in true Californian style. Plenty of natural light and wood and metal decor reminiscent of Urban Outfitters in its layout. The shop is located only a couple of blocks from the Pacific Ocean, which undoubtedly adds to the tranquil feel.
The beans are roasted next door in their own facility – it appears they also sell wholesale across the country. Check out their website to make sure. Verve is among the most raved about roasters in the continental US and their baristas are talented enough to consistently make a splash at the annual SCAA barista competitions. Unfortunately for Kris, during his visit the top baristas were actually in Houston competing in the SCAA annual competition on the national stage. The staff are super fun and friendly and the wifi is very, very free.
Two paws up for this place. We look forward to continuing to sample their coffee throughout 2012!
– Cafe Hound
Posted in Baristas, Beans, Reviews, Shops
Tagged Baristas, beachside coffee, Beans, Cafe, cafe hound, cafes, California, Coffee, coffee shop, Reviews, roaster, santa cruz, Verve, verve coffee, verve coffee roasters
2010 is upon us and what began as a graduation gift idea between professor and scholar has now evolved into a means of stimulating interest in the specialty coffee industry and in its entire supply chain –
– from farm level decision makers who must decide how to react to how global climate change is impacting their growing season and yields;
– to cooperatives who must decide how to integrate IT solutions into their business processes;
– farmers who must choose between numerous certification choices;
– exporters who must decide what price is a ‘fair’ one at which to sell their prized beans;
– importers who must navigate an increasingly competitive specialty coffee market;
– specialty roasters who must communicate their value proposition to a growing market segment;
– shops trying to differentiate their brand and product from the Starbucks baseline and from other shops claiming to provide the ‘gourmet’ experience;
– to end-consumers who seek clarity and consistency of quality despite all of the contingencies that must occur before the latte art is disturbed by the first sip.
Cafehound.com was launched early this fall as an online medium for Krislert Samphantharak and Matthew Maher to communicate and share their knowledge and experience with each other more than anything else. It began as an incremental journey to explore various portions of the supply chain in detail and encourage participation and collaboration with some of the major actors in the specialty coffee industry. Before long, Café Hound was able to secure interviews with roasters, importers, shop owners, professional baristas, farmers and people involved on the academic/research end of the soft commodities market. Given the very positive response that the website has received and as a consequence of very promising content in the future, Café Hound has decided to begin institutionalizing some processes.
1. Custom blend releases on occasion to generate publicity and raise funds for charity
2. Regular café reviews spanning the globe with occasional guest postings from our friends and associates abroad
3. Spotlight pieces that investigate particular segments of the supply chain with specific attention to farmers, importers and roasters.
4. Academic themed reviews of literature empirically evaluating aspects of the soft commodities market, especially coffee and specialty coffee
5. Newsletter updates
6. Creating a non-profit organization to provide a legal basis for managing funds and further enhancing our ability to provide value to entrepreneurial agricultural producers and children in the developing world.
– The Hounds
Posted in Buzz, Kris/Maher Blend Release
Tagged 2010, Annual Review, Ano Novo, Beans, buy coffee online, California, Charity, Coffee, Colombia, Concordia Colombia, DC, Denver, Ethiopia, Ethiopia Amaro Gayo, Foundation, Fundraising, gourmet coffee, indonesia, IRPS, Kenya, Kris/Maher Blend, Krislert, Maher, New Year, New York, Novo Coffee, Novo Coffee Roasters, Order Coffee, panama, roasting, San Diego, San Francisco, San Rafael, special coffee, Specialty Roaster, Strategic Plan, Virginia, Washington